19 August 2013

This Week In The Garden

The snow peas are finally producing enough to pick.
 The sugar snaps on the other hand are taking there own sweet time, I counted a total of four.

Loads of self seeded coriander, some of which has started to go to seed. Hopefully the seeds will be ready to harvest before I run out of last years.
Celery that was planted last spring and is now only just big enough to pick.
I haven't had a lot of luck growing beetroot in the past but these plants seem to be doing OK so far.
I had never eaten kohlrabi until I grew it myself a couple of years ago, it quickly became one of my favourite things to grow. I use it finely sliced in stir fries, leaves and bulbs, it tastes like a very mild broccoli. It is super easy to grow and the best thing about it is that unlike broccoli the cabbage white butterflies show no interest in it at all.
Winter is the only time of the year you can grow potatoes here in South Australia and this year's crop looks like it is going to be a good one.
Lettuce, good anytime of the year.
A forest of carrots that really need to be thinned out. If ever it stops raining I will do just that.
 Broccoli that's just about finished,
and purple sprouting broccoli that is just starting.
The first blossoms on the Mariposa plum tree made an appearance.
And two more cauliflowers were harvested. Not very big, only 200gms each, but very tasty.
So tell me, what's happening in your garden?



0 comments:

Post a Comment