02 April 2016

A Slight Change In (Garden) Plans

It seems that I'm not happy unless I'm changing things around, I was certainly not happy with the way the vegetable garden was looking. I have been wanting to add more flowers to the vegetable garden for a while now so I sacrificed just over two metres of growing space for that purpose, which still left me with ten garden beds. When my girls gave me a greenhouse for my birthday I thought it would look good in the middle of what would become the flower garden. I also added my two plums trees and an insect hotel as well as three Salvias "Joan", "Hot Lips" and an unnamed blue one, Senicio "Vira Vira" and a Lion's Ear plant. The space very quickly became too crowded and getting in to water the plants and fill up the bee/butterfly dish behind the plum trees was quite difficult.



November 2015


So, over the Easter long weekend I spent a few hours changing things around. As you can see I turned the greenhouse 90° and pushed it back into the corner. I moved the Salvia "Joan", and the insect hotel needed to be moved as I had it in the wrong place.

April 2016

I may have lost a couple metres of vegetable gardens but I am so much happier with the layout of the veggie patch now. Having a greenhouse is wonderful, some of the seeds that I sowed on Easter Monday sprouted in two days, usually it takes up to ten days. I think that this is the last time the garden will be changed as I am very happy with how it is now. I am looking forward to planting out the flowers and the herbs to keep the bees happy once the seedlings get big enough.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those plans look so professional....I'm sure it will result in a very organized veggie and flower patch....quietly jealous...great job. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a subscription to a site called GrowVeg.com, it allows you to plan out your garden, helps with crop rotation, and how many plants you can grow in each bed. I really enjoy using it because you can see what it will look like and how much you can grow before you actually start.

      Delete