18 April 2014

From My Kitchen

Artwork by Rebecca D.

Cool, rainy nights had me craving something warm and nourishing and a big bowl of pumpkin soup seemed to fit the bill.
Topped with bacon and a dollop of sour cream, DELICIOUS!!

Banana cake made by my daughter Rebecca, it is best served warm with a spoonful of cream.

In my continuing efforts to provide my family with more than just our daily bread I decided to try my hand at making a spicy fruit loaf. The first loaf didn't have enough fruit or flavour, the second one had too much fruit, the flavour was OK but it was so heavy it could be used as a doorstop and the third attempt (pictured above) was close with just the right amount of fruit, the flavour was good but still not perfect and it was still a bit on the heavy side. Do any of the bakers out there know how to make a spicy fruit loaf that is light and full of flavour.  What's been happening in your kitchen this week?

8 comments:

  1. Jan, I love your chalk art. Beautiful! And your bread, and your soup. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hat off for three attempts at spicy fruit loaf! I'm not a good baker and when it doesn't work the first time, chances are little I might try it again. It looks very good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying because I am stubborn, and I don't like anything getting the better of me.

      Delete
  3. oh yummy, I've been enjoying soup this last week too

    ReplyDelete
  4. where do you live Jan, I live in Mt Gambier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I live in Gawler about 5 hours north of you.

      Delete
  5. Pumpkins soup! The perfect fix for a cool evening!

    ReplyDelete