20 October 2021

Blogtober Day 19

As you know from a previous post, I have a problem with the pump in my fish pond. I’ve been checking on the fish every day since the pump stopped working, and they had been fine until yesterday. I feed them twice a day, once in the morning and then again in the early evening, when I went out last evening to feed the fish I noticed one of them lying on its side gasping for air, the oxygen in the water was running out and the fish were suffocating. I did not know what to do, as by this time all the stores were closed. In desperation, I emptied almost all the water out of the pond and replaced it with fresh water. My thought was that freshwater should have oxygen in it, so I filled the pond back up, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. This morning when I checked on them, they were all okay and swimming around happily. As soon as I had finished breakfast, I walked to the nearest hardware store and bought a small pump to put in the pond to keep the water moving and aid in oxygenating the water.

Photo courtesy of ISO Republic

Once the pump was installed and doing its job, I could relax knowing that the fish would be all right and I got on with doing a few things around the house. I cleaned the microwave; took the kitchen bins outside and cleaned them out; repotted a few of my houseplants; pulled out my celery plants that had unfortunately developed a fungal disease and gave the outdoor area a tidy up. 

As I will be at work tomorrow and Thursday I probably won't be posting as I won't have a lot to write about. I will be back with a post on Friday. 

Until then, stay safe and be kind to each other.

0 comments:

Post a Comment